Thursday, April 9, 2009

Inside the Conductor's Office: Experiments with new media and 2009's second title

So, a while back, I picked up a batch of Tombo markers, at a fairly hefty price I might add. I've always enjoyed the look of, as well as the quick and easy use, of how markers could be used to create pin up work - like those done by the commission artists you see at cons.

Well, I tried them out before, but hadn't really gotten a handle on how to get them to work for me. So, I switched over to watercolors. But I'm not as happy with that as I was hoping I would be. So, I've busted back out the pens and have started working with them, again.

Here you can see, in the upper left, a quick Justin portrait, as well as a risque Kali, Jig, and Boomer. In the center is a reworking of Samus Aran for Metroid Metal I had posted a little while ago. I'm not exactly happy with what came out, but at least it doesn't suck too bad and with some more practice I'm sure I can bump up the comic to a better level.


And here's a sneak peak for you. Back in college I had started coming up with a vigilante comic book. At the time it was a simple comedy adventure with a lot of the standard cliches that were becoming common in the comic book industry in the early 90's.

However, recent domestic events, as well as the recent success of The Watchmen, has brought this little goody out of moth balls, and back onto the drawing board.

I'm still working on tweaking it out; it was in its infancy of development when I shelved it. This is also going to be an interesting experiment as I'm going to run it like a strip, and not an actual page; posting twice a week unless this format is easier.

While I'm not sure how action, and such, will work out in strip form, I'll still be worming to keep it to the usual level of action, adventure, and comedy that readers have come to expect from me.

No comments: