Monday, August 1, 2011

Daily character sketch: I am the night...

You know, as an adult, I can immediately see the flaw in the concept of dressing up like a winged freak to beat the snot out of bad guys and solve unsolvable crimes. But the seven year old in me, having opened his first real honest to goodness comic book? Oh no, it was magic. When I got a glimpse of that roof top vigilante, I knew, from that moment on, what I wanted to be when I grew up.

That's right, I wanted to be the God Damn Batman.

Well, turns out it takes a lot to be Batman. Money, for one; which I had none of. Helped to be a expert fighter and student of the arts of justice. And then there's the whole business of watching your parents murdered.

Yeah, in the end, I went for door #2; I became a cartoonist with one, and only one goal in my life; to make comic books.

But, like some many in comic-dom, I adore Batman; a mere mortal with a gimmick and ginormous mind... and a not so right in the head idea of vengeance. He was my gateway drug into the silly world of comics. And, though I lost my taste for capes a long time ago, I still have a soft spot for the old guy...

No comments: