Friday, May 3, 2013

City and Town


Ragged red roadsters roar down the road, Glass eyed marbles travel in auto mode.
Landscape twisting shadowed street gray, Can’t hear the words the melodies say.
Herding their flock the great boards yell, Making your wants vibrant, they sell.
This is that they just want you to see, Given for take they devour currency.

This is the city, this is the town
People here and there, everywhere around
Up on the sidewalk, out in the street
The waves of the faces never you’ll meet
Pounding a beat, their feet to the ground
Living in the city, living in the town.

Cathedral halls thrust out ever so high Could they would they scrape the sky?
Stacked and towered these walls the mold Blinking lights say they do as they’re told.
No more space here, it left in the Fall Run out the limits when no growth stalled.
The flood of the masses likely to drown No venting, no egress, could there be found.

The bramble the ramble of out stretched hands They’re reaching and clutching from broken lands.
Climbing twinkle lights want to hypnotize On the corner wannabe black robes moralize.
An echo a din of harmonic cacophony, From choirs and boxes no way to see
A pulse to which can be put no finger, Rhythm with no rhyme destine to linger.

This is the city, this is the town
It’s towers and temples all way round
Surrounded by its high heights
Dwarfed by all their might
Washed over by the echoed sound
Living in the city, living in the town

Where are the hills, where are the trees?! Get me out of here, someone help me please!
Closing in on me, why won’t let me breath!
Towers built on hills made of shaky ground? Battered by the roars, by the constant sounds!
I need to go, please why won’t you show me how?
Everywhere it’s there, everywhere I see! Every place I look on top of the scenery!
I think I’m being swallowed whole!

Because this is the city, this is the town
Pressing over people, pound upon pound
It’s a living, eating thing, buzzing with electricity
Show you so much gonna make your eyes scream
Pull you under, make you  gonna drown
Living in the city, living in the town
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Even though today I make a couple trips a week into San Francisco, when I first ventured into the city, at the tender age of eight, I wasn't as really impressed by the sites as I was terrified by them. Having never been to any city before, I was more taken back in shock. Actually, I had a panic attack styled melt down.

Needless to say, it wasn't the most pleasant adventure for my then young mother.

Today I actually enjoy outings into what is one of the most iconic cities in the world, and look forward to the many sites and treasures it waits for me to discover. But, I've never quite forgotten the fear of that little eight year old...



No comments: