Thursday, July 30, 2015

Getting animated about my past...

A lot is happening over here at Neverland Transit Authority's Grand Central Station. If you've been reading, lately, you know that we've become the victim of the Silicon Valley tech economy; losing our land and having to soon relocate.

However, that's not to say it's been all bad. In fact, the recent rummaging through old items has uncovered a rare gem from my own personal past; a few test animations from back in my old college days.



"The Captain" is a series of tests for a character that was supposed to be for a Goonie-esque game that would have combined puzzles and arcade style gaming about a sunken, and haunted, pirate ship. The whole concept grew out of an intro assignment in which we were supposed to animate a bouncing ball with a face and hair to illustrate secondary action and stretch and squash. I proposed a skull and was told it wouldn't work and I'd fail.

I got an "A", and my assignment was used as an example for another two years after.

Unfortunately the final piece, a complete walk in and assembly of the character, is now lost to time. All I have is this old set of pencil tests from twenty years ago; ripped from an old VHS tape.


"Robo-Stupid" was an attempt and a complex and layered animated short; the first in a series of short-shorts featuring a dog and cat doing battle in the vein of Foghorn Leghorn and Barnyard Dog, Tom and Jerry, and Wild E. Coyote and the Roadrunner. Precious the cat is our antagonist who seeks to end Rex, our hero, by any means possible and necessary. Here his battle mech cat was to be thwarted by an exploding remote control mouse.

Unlike The Captain, up there, this is as far as I ever got with this. However, both did land me A's in their respective classes. I don't know; hoping these might be enough to help land me a job in animation...

No comments: