Sunday, January 1, 2017

Final Thoughts from the Pacific Northwest, looking south to the road home...

The best laid plans…

     At the end of July, 2016, I packed up all my things, said goodbye to the town I was born in, the cities and state I grew up in, and headed north to seek what I thought would be a much better life. Some place where you didn’t need to earn $100,000 to afford a three hundred square foot apartment in a ghetto, or have to commute two hundred miles a day through first rate awful traffic. I wanted to live some place that a guy like me could find some pride in; where his work was valued as useful and important, not as a second-class worker to a desk jockey who bangs away on a keyboard (on the days he decides to actually show up to the office) and then catches a shuttle to his $850,000 condo for craft beer and gluten free Prosciutto nibblers.

     But most importantly I wanted to live in a place where culture still existed. Some place where creativity still ran, communities still came together, and where art and life blended together in such a way that not only could you not see the end of one for the beginning of another, but you were hard pressed to even want to try. I was looking for a somewhere that was built off my past, but still moving forward to a potentially bright future.

    So I pointed the car north, drove nine hundred miles, and fourteen hours later I arrived in Seattle, Washington to find that; yes, there was just a place like I had always dreamed of! There were traditional looking homes and neighborhoods, with busy streets full of shops spanning what I could only describe as a bumpy Los Angeles squished into a mountain forest.

    The air was clean, the sky was (mostly, when it wasn’t raining,) blue, and each district of this huge city was bustling with art, community, and culture that, though very different from area to area, still united itself in a common identity. Having been over a lot of this country I had found a place quite unique to itself that had everything that the second tech boom had pushed out of my native San Francisco Bay Area. I was in love.

    Too bad that Seattle didn’t love me back.

    That’s not to say that I didn’t receive a warm welcome from the folks I met, conversed with, and mealed together. I did. In fact, it was funny to find that almost half the folks I had run into were, themselves, from some other place. (Ironic that as we all run to escape gentrification hell and the ruin it’s bringing to our homes, natives of King County are fleeing their homes because of us.)

    No, the people and places up here are wonderful, inviting, and full of hospitality. However, not so much the same for its job market.

    I have a very typical Silicon Valley resume. That is, to say, that it’s full of a lot of lay-offs and contract gigs that have come and went. (Also some resignations, though I have never been fired, or put into a position where it was quit or be fired.) As a Facilities Manager for Silicon Valley corporations my career path is not, in any reasonable way, upwardly mobile. And, like others in corporate fields that relate to tech, jobs usually are for two to five years and then you’re on to the next one. (I once was hired to a company that was bought by a larger company the week I came onboard, and was laid off only a few months later.)

    My resume does show expanding skill sets and responsibilities with each new position, but like most it’s full of a few years here, a few years there. In contrast, I’m learning first hand that this is very unique to Silicon Valley. Here, for example, it’s common for someone to start as an employee in the mailroom and one day, fifteen years later, find themselves managing a division; often in another part of the company from where they started. Back home the only two kinds of employees who have been with a company fifteen years are either they guy in the mailroom – who’s been there the whole time because he’s never felt compelled to challenge himself, or was an original founder of the company and just hasn’t sold their shares yet. (There are notable exceptions, of course; but in Silicon Valley people who stay at a company that long really are very notable exceptions.)

    Worse; you just can’t explain Silicon Valley business to someone who isn’t, for lack of a better term, “Silicon Valley”. It’s not for malice, much, as just the simple fact that it’s so foreign… so alien… that they just can’t wrap their minds around it. So, what looks like a busy and productive contractor to someone who might hire me back home appears to be a job-hopping vagabond to anyone else.

    And then, of course, there’s the typical stereotyping of a Silicon Valley worker. On more than one occasion I’ve had interviews go south when they figured on my being some kind of IT guru; which I am not. (I do know maybe enough to be a little useful in assisting said IT guru, but punching in a network is not the same as administrating it.)

    When I moved up to Seattle I had a solid plan, three months of full resources, a place to lay at
night, and a (dead and broken) heart full of passion to make myself a resident of Washington and the Pacific Northwest for however long my precarious life had left. Five months later I am broke, massively in debt, and heading back home to face not only the personal shame of failure (Yes, I know; many things are learned in failure, so it’s not wholly a negative experience.), but a region that has become so toxically unlivable for the average worker that even $100,000 a year tech workers now pile four or five deep into homes, or commute hundred miles a day to their jobs because only about five percent of the employed work force can afford to live and work in the same town.


  To its credit, Seattle, and the surrounding counties, are beautiful; filled with nature, a cleaner environment, culture, history, and its own sense of identity that isn’t just charming, but down right seductive to anyone who, though liking some of what modern living offers, really would like to reconnect to the promises of the future we had in, say, the 1980’s. (I know, I know; but go with it, will you? It’s about the only way I can think on to explain how it feels… to me, at least.)

    And I’m really glad I got to see it and experience it; it only has, maybe, another six years left. As of today, the same roots are growing deep into Seattle and the surrounding area that eventually brought about the end of the San Francisco and Silicon Valley mystique. They’re growing, and fast (Second fastest in 2015, if I remember correctly.) with new companies and new jobs and opportunities. And that’d be great, but coming along with that is quickly rising housing costs as new developments are rising up everywhere; stark, sleek, and impersonal constructs that scar the quaint settings of old American neighborhoods.

    This is a place where a $65,000 annual salary would have you in a home and comfortably on your way to a fun and family filled retirement. (Most folks don’t actually make anywhere near that, and as of a couple years ago, didn’t even need to because the cost of living was in balance with income up here… mostly.) Now many I’ve come to know and talk with at length are seeing, very rapidly, their checks not going as far as they used to. Slowly, frighteningly, Seattle is becoming the new Silicon Valley.

    I hope that Seattle, King County, and even the Washington state, will find a way to push back against the tech cancer. (Note: tech isn’t inherently evil. Nor are some of its workers. But runaway growth is still a cancer.) I hope they’ll find a way to create and foster a balance between what the markets can buy and pay for, and the happiness, health, and prosperity of its people. I’d hate to lose this place a second time when I return to, at least, visit.

    As for myself? Well, I’m heading home; beaten and broken. I have a lot of rebuilding to do. All my resources are gone. My health is a touch dodgy. And, with other events of the past three hundred and sixty five days added to the mess, my personal outlook on life has become rather dark. (Bleak is another good word that you could use there, too.)

    But I am taking home five incredible months of adventure, food and drink, wonderful people I
have met, and amazing places I have seen and been to. I don’t know what my future will hold past today, but I want it to, once again, include King County, and its cities and towns like Seattle, Everett, Bremerton, Park Orchard, and – of course – Pike Place Market. I left California after forty two years and thought of it as a found memory. I will look back at five months in King County and be really homesick.


   One day I’ll be back. One day… 

No comments: