Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Inside the Conductor's Office: Pin-ups, pubs, and video game guitar!

Welcome to another edition of "Inside the Conductor's Office", the segment where I open up my sketchbook and let you take a peak into my rather scary mind...

Yes, that's Kali, again, from the pin up I posted quite a while back. I've been working on a new lay out for the first Galactic Gun pin up, going for more natural pose; something that looks less arranged for something more convieniantly suggestive and believable. Also of note is the refining of her look from the proto-manga looking block form to the more curve based cartooning I'm using now.

The flying blond powerhouse, to the right, is an up coming character that will prove to bring a fun level of chaos to the crew of the No. 7. Below her is the work up for a priest that will be in the third story, "Wedding Bell Blues."

The little hobbit shack in the corner? I have no idea; it just sort of came out one day. It does make a nice hermit house or remote wizard's tower. I think I can work it in, somewhere.

A little while back, I got to talking with some friends about putting together a themed bar; based off an article I found that was lamenting, in the Denver area, the lack of decent Irish styled pubs. Through a series of twists and turns I came up with a sort of Steam punk-ish themed place called "Livingston's Dark Safari Lounge". You can see the initial logo design to the right.

The locomotive in the corner is based off of a Fisher Price pull along toy - my first toy train - from 1964. Technically the toy is ten years older than me, and, to be honest, isn't my original one. (Praise to eBay for reuniting me with my childhood.) But, I have lots of fond memories of that toy, and it was the basis for the original train used in my first NTA logo. (There's a new one which I'll be unveiling soon.)

The orange fuzzy in the corner is, yes, a Galactic Gun character. The red headed nude? Just random art-ness.

And here we have Samus Aran. (I told you she's gonna pop up every now and then.) This started as a test for some new art pens I got a while back. Nice ones. From Japan. That, in total, cost me over $100. Pens, it seems, I can't figure out how to use.

But this didn't turn out so bad, so I stuck up a logo for Metroid Metal (A Stemage side project.) and have been entertaining the idea of sending it their way.

In truth, though, I'm not too happy about this particular picture. I think I'm going to do a couple more, including using the Zero Suit. Most likely I'll go back to watercolor for the other two I have in mind.

No comments: