Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Oh where, oh where, has little IronChuck gone?

Oh where, oh where can I be?

If you've noticed, it's been quite here for a few days. And, with some apology, the comic has missed two updates. So, where have I been?

I took a few days off and drove up to the Seattle area to visit my little brother and his darling wife in Snoqualmie, Washington. Enjoyed some nice weather (No, it's not always raining up there.), breathed actual fresh air, saw real blue sky, and did my best to avoid Starbucks as best as I could; seriously, they're on every other block there.

Of the fun sites I got to see, there were a few really fun ones. First was the waterfront market, Pike Place Market. It was a couple of old canning building - or something - jammed packed with fun stores and eateries some three stories high. At the top, which opens to another street, there's all the food vendors, including Pike Place Fish Market, that place you see on TV - usually during sports shows - that has the guys that yell out and throw your order around. It was a lot of fun!

Also, I saw the Experience Music Project and The Science Fiction Museum ; housed together on the same block as the Space Needle. (Damn, it's tall!) For a music lover, I was amazed at how much musical history comes from that area; and not as much grunge as I was expecting, too. There was an entire room dedicated to just the guitar; with actual pieces from performers on display that tracked the evolution of the instrument through Rock.

A good portion of the displays also had video accompanying them, as well as - for a $3 fee - extra audio you could hear on a custom iPod. I opted not to throw down for the iPod, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to on my next trip. And I need to go back so I can spend more time in the Science Fiction Museum, too.

On display are costume pieces, props, and interactive media that spans many generations and flavors of Sci-Fi. Robbie, from Forbidden Planet, and Robot, from Lost in Space, banter back and forth as R2-D2 looks on. Large CG interactive "windows" take you to extreme Sci-Fi worlds and let you watch as notorious space ships do fly byes. And, of course, you can't miss the ever growing interactive Wall of Fame.

This is a smaller portion of the museum, and there's definitely room for growth. But, it's still a good place for Sci-Fi lovers; and I so could have spent more time there. Again, saving it for the return trip. Hopefully I can get back before the Henson muppet experience closes mid August.

Other fun places to mention were the Snoqualmie Falls; a breath taking display of nature's most awesome waterworks. It's located not too far from my brother's house. There's a gazebo set up over a cliff just along side the gorge that has the most amazing view.

Also had sushi in the most fun place I've ever been; Blue C Sushi. Located in Bellevue, it features a solid disc conveyor belt that travels around the center of the restaurant, passing by not only the counter, but also every booth. The selections sit on large colored plates that, themselves, sit on small stands that label what they are. And not only that, they have other fun things that come along; like wacky sodas, and such.

But the best was a selection of toys from Kidrobot. You can choice from three, or four, product lines at various price levels. Each one comes in a "blind box"; which is to say you wont' know what you got until after you've opened it. Some are more rare than others. I picked up "Astro", from the mini keychain collection; a ice cream eating cosmonaut (Don't ask.) who was a rare 1 in 50 find!

The final terror of Seattle was unleashed on me in the form of, of all things, donuts. Yes, Top Pot is the local favorite in Washington. A chic donut bakery that puts Krispy Kreme to shame. I had a raspberry glazed old fashion that was delicious; but I totally forgot my glazed sprinkle in the kitchen as I left for the long drive home. Next time, for sure.

When I go back, I'll be bringing some hiking gear, as there is an unbelievable amount of trails and parks to go romping around in. And the place is littered with trees; millions of them. I'm also going to spend more time - which will definitely mean more money - out in the market place. And don't get me started on all the restaurants and pubs.

Of course, it's also funny to mention how much I stood out up there. On a couple occasions, when my bro and his wife introduced me as being from California, it was noted they could tell I saw a lot of sun. Soon I, too, was noticing how much darker I was from practically everyone. Seriously, it was like I had the Santropay tan going on.

I'm pretty sure I'm leaving stuff out, but there was just so much to see and do.

Anyway, I'm home. Look for more postings here, naturally; as well as the comic returning to its normal schedule this Friday.

No comments: