Saturday, June 2, 2012

"Up, Up, Down, Down" - Designing a CD single cover

So, over in my Typography class, we've been working on doing a CD cover using only type; no picutres are allowed anywhere. So I grabbed nerdcore rock greats Kirby Krackle, and their quirky "love song" Up Up Down Down, from their self titled debut.

I have to admit that the initial design sort of quickly snapped together. However, I then spent three days obsessing over how the title would go.
In the end, I went with the Komica font. The idea was, in font size and position, to capture the idea of going up, up, and then down, down. The background lettering is in NES Controller font - no, really; it's the Nintendo font used on the actual hardware - and set at 35% opacity. The band logo is imported; I didn't do anything to it.

Since KK is a nerdcore rock band (Comics, video games, etc.), the news print comic strip look was essential to attract its target audience. In that same way the font choice was pretty obvious. (Which is a bit of a lie; you'd be surprised how many comic styled fonts are out there, these days.Yeash...)


And just how quirky is this little love song? Well...

No comments: