Monday, January 2, 2012

SLO down for a book and a sandwich...

I survived a road trip with
IronChuck and all he took
was this silly picture.
This past week I needed an escape from Grand Central Station. So, I grabbed some lovely company, hopped in the Dangermouse and headed south; just to see what I could see. After a few hours on the PCH, I found myself in the fun central coast town of San Luis Obispo... AND IN THE PRESENSE OF THE MOST AWESOMEST SANDWICH, EVER.
Not as pretentious as it sounds!


Kruezberg CA is, I have to admit, so close to a hipster hang out it's unnerving. Except that this coffee shop is also a "book bar"; eclectic hog poging of furniture surrounded by piles and piles of used books for the reading... or buying. ($4 a book, 10 for $30.) But that's not all. In the back, staffed by the same bunch of friendly, lovely people as the front counter/coffee bar, is the kitchen of heavenly dining wonders.

What a great way to get to know the giants of literary history!
I can now say, quite honestly, that I have had the best sandwich, ever, in all my 37 years of sandwich eating - the "Amy Tan". Getting near on a week, and everything I eat still pales next to it.

How much extra for the shirt AND the girl?

Try and say no to this. Go ahead, try.
 Will I road trip back? Oh and how I will, you bet! Next on my "to eat" list? The Samuel Clemens. If I make a day of it I may start off with a Tennessee Williams breakfast, and finish with something off the dinner menu.

Poor but sexy? Yes. yes, indeed. And when I hit the joint, again, I'll be sure to pick myself up some memorabilia, too.

Staffed by great people, and serving some wonderful food -with piles of books to enjoy - this could easily be NTA Comics SLO Station; when I want to pack up the art supplies and just "get away from it all". Seriously, if you're in the area, you need to stop here for a coffee, a snack, or even just a quick read.

Then you can thank me later...

No comments: