Saturday, January 21, 2012

A thought, a prayer...


Taken by a Routers' photographer in Hu Yuanjia, On November 25th, 2011. The uncredited photographer recalls:

“I remember clearly that it was about 5 p.m. on November 25. I was just finishing an assignment photographing retired military soldiers bidding farewell to their comrades at the train station. On my way out, I heard someone yelling from a corner and soon after lots of people gathered around. I ran towards the sound and made my way to the front of the crowd, only to find an old man dead on the bench. As I raised my camera, a Buddhist monk walked out of the crowd and went directly towards the dead man. The monk bent down to hold the old man’s hand and started to chant scriptures. I began to take pictures immediately. One minute later, police came over and cordoned off the area. After the monk finished the ceremony, he bowed to the old man and quickly disappeared among the other busy passengers.”

I think of all the images of the past year, this one will stay with me for the rest of my life, for many reasons. Maybe it's the comforting idea that someone may be there to guide me to whatever afterlife I may meet. Maybe that someone will actually care, if if he, or she, is a completely random stranger.

Or, perhaps, that that person may end up being me...

Peace and grace be with you. Whether we end up breeding a world of such compassion and thought, or not, be the warm light of hope to your neighbor; regardless if they be familiar, or not. Better yet, go introduce yourself...

See this, and the rest of the set from 2011 here.

No comments: