Saturday, May 12, 2012

Gutenberg-Textura

Gutenberg-Textura by Charlie Irons
Adobe Illustrator
Okay, so, as you've already read, below, I had to do a small research project for my Typography class, and chose Johannes Gutenberg - the father of modern Typography - to do my research on.

And, here, to our left, is the net result of that research; a poster featuring his particular font.

In making this, I was going for hints of illumination with an attempt to capture the other-worldly feel of the literature texts from the 1970's; where I first saw this font.

Like Gutenberg, in his time, the trick here was to get the middle text to line up in a center justified text block; requiring a lot of tweaking to the kerning on letters, as well as the tracking of lines.

Of course, the biggest challenge was just making the damn thing; we were required to use Adobe Illustrator. And, as we've all come to know, from following me on Twitter, I hate Adobe Illustrator.

Well, maybe a little less, now. But, don't get me wrong; we're not going out to pick curtains, or anything, just yet.


No comments: