Sunday, September 30, 2012

Book 'em, Dan-O; we're back in school...

 
So another quarter has begun at school, and among the many challenging classes is a spot of history. Graphic Design history, to be precise; something I have to admit has never crossed my mind, before.


But, obviously, Philip Meggs has. And his book, Meggs' History of Graphic Design, from Wiley Press, is the 130-something page hard back monstrosity takes its place as the center piece of the class.

So, what do I get for being knocked back $90 dollars?

Well...

From the get go you can tell this is just packed with clever and thought provoking content. How? Well there's so much in here that they had to cram the table of contents in on the inner cover.

Seriously, this book must be packed with page after page of amazing content.

Oh. My.God. Look at this; words with pictures! I'm happy to report that the book, covering graphic design, actually contains graphic design.

Luckily, every page has all kinds of helpful paragraphs about the various stages of graphic design; covering things like the invention of writing, arts and crafts, and the future of digital design.
But that's not all. Nope; there's so much good stuff in here that, from time to time, the book has whole pages of nothing but pictures!

From edge to edge, top to bottom, various forms of graphic design, from the past and present, are highlighted in glorious color as they're displayed in their real world application.

Now, I am not be familiar with the proceeding four editions, but I can tell that this one, like pretty much every book on the subject, has managed to follow the sound and practical mold that has made these types of text a staple in every office shelf.  So, if  you managed to pick up on my subtle sarcasm, then you'll no doubt understand my frustration that this beast clocks in at $92.

Don't get me wrong; it's apparently well researched, nicely laid out, and full of great examples. So it'll look nice in my collection of over priced dust collectors when it takes its place up on my trophy shelf of school texts.

Ah, higher education...

No comments: