Thursday, March 10, 2016

Friendly


Highway 17, here in California, opened in 1940 to bridge San Jose and the rest of the bay area to Santa Cruz, replacing older roads and the rail line. And the geographic history of the area has intertwined with it ever since.  But in my time it also held a various dubious title, a claim to infamy both in this state and in the country. 

At one time California Highway 17 was the deadliest stretch of road in the United States of America.
In the last forty years since they’ve made quite a few improvements to curb the nearly one fatality a day statistic it used to be. And now, though still plagued by the occasional wreck (among the many challenges the stretch of highway still provides) it’s far and few between fatalities along its windy mountain lanes.

That almost wasn’t the case yesterday when a dear friend of mine, on her way to work in Santa Cruz, went to pass a slow moving bus and was rear ended.

The for the sake of everyone I’ll just say she walked away with nothing more than bruised ribs. I mean, yes, she’s frazzled; who wouldn’t be? The car is totaled and her and her husband(ish) are now having to deal with the aftermath of their one vehicle destroyed. This just on the heels of her dealing with a small medical issue. So she’s laid up and trying to cope with the fact that no matter how much they try to tame 17, there’s always some demon speedster out there trying to do eighty up a road rated fifty five.

I’m glad she’s (mostly) alright. And I know that they will recover and get on their feet, again, because they are that kind of couple; tough, resilient, and self-empowering between themselves. They’ve been key members of my Rogues Gallery for a while, and I’ve come to respect (and maybe even envy) them for that. In fact, I am lucky enough to have a select group of friends that are unique, fairly giving, and diversely talented and entertaining. And, for some reason, they occasionally like to even let me socialize with them. Heck, they even admit to knowing me… in public… and on purpose, too.


Friendship is a wondrous thing, and probably the other great mystery about the human condition. It basically boils down to finding someone who has some degree of your weirdnesses – or at least something complimentary – and then saying; “yeah, you’re kind of like me, let’s do stuff together.” And then off you go. And, much like a full blown love, our friendships enrich us, help us grown, and untie and bind us into these kind of families that, in some cases, become stronger and more binding than blood relations.

I pondered this over a beer at a bar in the city, rolling over the most awful of scenarios had things not played out the way they did. And moreover, as I reassured myself that they most assuredly hadn’t, what specifically my friends – who I affectionately call my Rogues Gallery – have come to mean to me.

They are my fellow cast members in the show of life. They have inspired me in my endeavors; though sometimes they didn’t know it. They are the giants upon whose shoulder I stand to glean a better understanding of life. They’ve soothed me when my troubled mind boiled. They have filled me with hope when I was lowest. They have grounded me when I’ve sored just a touch too high. The have gifted me purpose when I had no meaning. They have held me when I could not find my feet beneath me.

Often I feel horribly out of place, but then I chat up with my Rogues Gallery and I know I’m right
where I should be; with all the other silly freaks.

As I said, I almost lost a Rogue yesterday. Just the thought of that makes me shudder.  Losing any one of them would be like losing a piece of myself; a piece of my family. More than anything else they mean so much to me, each and every one. It’s not a thing I mind over; there’s no weakness in this. Just the contrary, in them I become stronger. I hope they feel the same way. Because, in the end, that’s what friendship really is; investing ourselves in others for mutual returns that strengthens us all as a whole.


We are each mighty. Our friends make us formidable.

No comments: