Saturday, March 5, 2016

I think I can... I think I can... I think I can...

I once was part of a group function in which we filled out a questionnaire about ourselves and then had to hand it to someone else to introduce us all to the group with. About half way down was a curious little question that I answered pretty straight forwardly and didn’t think much of it… until it was read out loud. In response to the question “What do you believe in?” I had a simple, single word answer.

Me.

In a class full of things like “Our Lord and Savior”, “The Mother, Maiden, and Crone”,  “Allah (Peace and Blessing be upon Him)”, and even “evolution” it was interesting to see how mine stood out like a sore thumb. To which, as expected, my answer was challenged in class as a non-answer.

Belief is a word of Norse root that means “to wish”, so I’m not sure what to make out of that. However, its modern usage is far more different and holds much different weight than its inception an eon ago. So, when I say I believe in me, I’m not necessarily trying to be cute, coy, or clever. I’m not putting myself in a place of importance inside the known universe. And I’m not trying to hint at some great philosophical notion like Des Cartes.



No, I believe in me because…

Belief is an interesting thing. Belief has motivated people to make some of the oddest decisions, thrown countries into wars, and dictated – and still does, in many countries, today – social policies. Belief has stymied progress and scientific advancement. Belief has given a weapon to oppressors to use against those they oppress. Belief is the unchanging ideal that is clung to in a changing world; of which shreds us apart as the world tries to move on from it.

Belief, however, can also be the thing that fosters change. Belief in a better tomorrow can make people to disregard old notions of money, power, and security in order to embrace compassion. Belief in the innate goodness in each other can build communities, knock down barriers, and bring people closer together as one. Belief in justice and fair play can end tyranny, crumble corruption, and even bring about peace and equality.

Like all tools, belief is what it’s wielded to be. But it’s also what we bring to it. So it’s important that before we bring to bear the power of our efforts into a belief we’ve taken great care to understand what that belief may or may not be saying, or calling into action. It’s simply not enough to say “yeah, that sounds right to me” and then run with it. A belief requires a base from which to draw from, a root to gather nutrition from. It’s fundamentally important to look at a belief and understand what’s given rise to it. Where does it draw its strength from? Where does this belief come from? What are the reasonings behind this belief? And, most importantly, how do these beliefs benefit the people, places, and ideals it’s being applied to.

Belief is an interesting thing because one can build a belief with, or without, evidence to support it. One that is built on good information and critical reasoning will stand longer, and accomplish more than one that isn’t. In some ways this is where belief and faith are interchangeable. And, actually, at the turn of the Common Era, they meant the opposite of what they do now. However, faith requires nothing of what belief might. Faith has come to stand for the belief in things unknown, trust in things unseen. While a belief can change over time, for a myriad of reasons, faith never tends to wavier; much to its fault. And I’ve already covered my ideas about faith in previous comics at Neverland Transit Authority. (Though I'm still keen to use the imagery of faith to express my feelings, sometimes.)

Approaching the age in which I feel must compelled to act in, I see that lot of people like to believe in something, but don’t necessarily have a belief. That is, to say, they believe it’s good to share, but do not believe in a society that values cooperating toward a common goal, or common good. In some cases there’s simply no conviction to any belief at all. I don’t know if it’s because our world has gotten to the place it has, today, or if simply we’re just not engaging it like we used to. In my youth we believed we could change the world with a rock concert, and did so. We believed our voices should be heard, and made them so
.
Where are our beliefs today, then? Is it now in the inevitable corruption of our politics? The assumption that the world is a tough place and out to get you? Everyone wants what you have? Nothing really matters because it’s all doomed, anyway? Or do we simply just subscribe to the belief that someone else will come along to make it all work out in the end? I’m not a social anthropologist, just a would-be cartoonist; I don’t have those answers, just observations.  But I know one thing for sure; beliefs are a powerful thing, and it would do us good to revitalize them, again. Or, at the very least, take a cue from dear Jimmy Page…



I think a while ago I lost my belief in me. That is I forgot that there are things I can do. I had either let go of the idea, or had it obscured by the things I allowed to block my sight, that though I was but one voice, one set of hands, one heart, I could raise myself up to meet things head on; both in my personal life, and as part of the greater community. I’m not sure how that happened, kind of embarrassed I let it happen, and now determined to never let it happen again. 

So, what do I believe in? I believe in the rule of law. I believe in the rights of everyone to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. I believe that given to our own devices people tend to make better choices and help one another. I believe in the power of art; to heal, to express, and to bind and connect us to our fellow human beings. I believe in love; to love someone – anyone – as you feel fit to, the union it can create in us interpersonally, and how love can unite us in times of crisis as well as comfort. I believe higher education for all is an imperative; not because we need a degree to get a good job, but because an educated society is healthier, happier, and able to function toward the ideals it set out to accomplish. 

And I believe in me because I can have a hand in making these things happen.
  

No comments: