Monday, July 6, 2009

So, when's this "cartoonist" gonna get sketchy, again?

Right now, actually. We've been doing some recent renovations at Grand Central, and naturally nothing's been going according to plan. Anyone who's been reading the comic will, no doubt, notice the lag in posts, lately.

However, it looks like we've finally managed to get it all up and running; or, at least, gotten a solid work around. So, not only will we be back to regular updates on Galactic Gun, but I can show off my new sketchbook!

So, it's no secret that the current art on the Galactic Gun is a) old, and b) sucky. Yes, I admit that it's not the best I could have done, but then I did quit art for some five years for stage work. Anyway, I've been playing around with new looks and the first one I thought of was my old college animation days.


No, this is so not going to be the way I'm going to start drawing the comic. Honest.


Ah, goths. I love them. Since I am one, it makes sense, no? And I have to admit, there are few beauties that teal my eye like a gothic beauty. Too bad I'm not good at drawing them, though, huh? Also of note is a thumbnail sketch inspired by VNV Nation's "Airships", an idea for my business card (Which I need to hurry up and get made!), and a couple of more comic things; including a rough for the Intergalactic Pub Crawl Team badge - which will be the name of the GG fan club... if I ever get that far, that is.

I never use my sketchbook at the office. Some how, I figure, if I'm in the conductor's office, I should be working on pages, or pin-ups, or scripts. I know, it's a weird hang up, but what are you gonna do, right? So, I like to pack up a small art bag and take a drive. Usually I end up at one of a couple coffee shops that are no where near my studio. That's where I draw.
Usually I just got for random things that just pop into my head. Here we have Krule, a quick sketch of the banana cake and hot cider I was snacking on, two characters from the still developing "Signal to Noise" and a little pot with candle that led to a nekkid pagan chick.

Don't ask.

Anyway, one of my favorite exercises is to do thumbnails based off of songs. As it comes up in the headphones, I give myself the length of the song to work up as much as I can. When the song ends, I stop; and begin with the next song. Good for the old lay out muscles, you could say.

So, starting in the left hand corner is a tomb scene for a later story inspired by an exotic little tune from the soudtrack "Passion" by Peter Gabriel. Next to it, on the right, is "Kingdom of Rust", by the Doves. Under that, starting on the left, is "American Money", by Yoko Kanno and The Seatbelts. next to that is yours truly laying in the grass, based off of VNV's "Endless Sky". To my lower left is "Silver City Sunset" by The Lost Patrol. And to my right is "Standing on the Edge of the World" by Operetica.

No comments: