Wednesday, July 27, 2011

"It's like something out of, I don't know; Science Fiction."

When I was a kid, I wanted to drive around in a small van across America; where I would live, work on comics, and just drive around all the time. I never really considered how I'd get my mail, bills, and send off my work back then - remember this was the pre Internet age, just that some day I could do it. And it would be perfect...

What the...?! Four Square not available in the Himalayas?
Wait till I Facebook this!
It's now 2011, thirty years later, as I write this entry. I have a computer in my pocket that takes pictures, can send them in an instant anywhere, access my bank accounts, pays my bills, plays... Well, you get the idea.

Leaps and bounds in the field of data storage and computational speed have perched us on the edge of true mobility. Volumes of books can be contained on a single "reader", now. Hours... no, DAYS of music can be contained in a match box sized device. We can access libraries worth of information in seconds. And we can communicate across the globe, in real time, almost instantly. And though my car still can't fly... yet... we have on board navigational systems that can steer you to damn near any place on Earth.

This keeps up, I won't have much Scifi left to write about...

No comments: