Wednesday, April 20, 2011

30 Day Song Challenge: Day four - a song that makes you sad

Ironically, one of the best musical discoveries I ever made was in a local comic book shop several years ago. Hearing a couple tracks, I ran out to pick up what would turn out to be my introduction to the genre of "Trip Hop".

However, I was unprepared for the depth of the sound and lyrical visuals that were buried deep inside the music. Especially this one particular track that I first heard while driving down Market Street in San Francisco late one night:

The refrain of UNKLE's "Lonely Soul", mixed with the images of the homeless and broken shuffling down the dirty shadows edged by harsh, bright, colored lights is a sobering combination that brings the plight of the lost, poor, helpless, and forgotten in our midst. These are those for whom their is no sun's first light to break the cold of their bleak life's night.

When I hear this song I cannot help but consider, even in the reality of today's world, those that teeter on the edge. Those for who the end can't come soon enough; no matter their circumstance. Because, for some, their is no dawn's promise. Just the loneliness of more darkness...

No comments: