Sunday, April 17, 2011

30 Day Song Challenge: Day one - Favorite song

30 Day Song Challenge is a Facebook meme that asks you to share music over the course of a month; each day a song based off of specific request. Always up to a challenge, and a lover of music, I decided to accept. So, each day, here at The Conductor's Office, I will post that day's challenge.

Today's challenge is "your favorite" song. Here's mine:

"Don't Break this Rhythmn" was the B-side (Kids, ask your parents.) to the "Sledgehammer" single by Peter Gabriel. Why, over all the other hits by the man who tops my all time musicians list, is it this obscure song, and not something like, say, "Sledgehammer"?

Simple, really. This song was the one track that introduced me to the ideas of alternative and world music. This one track was the genesis (Pun not intended.) of my understanding of the rest of the world, and the ideal that popular music doesn't have to dictate to me what is enjoyable music.

So, not only is it a really cool song, full of amazing production values, but it holds a special place, for me, in my conciousness.

No comments: