Wednesday, April 13, 2011

First Look at new Galactic Gun for 2011!


So, here's the first pass of the first page of Neverland Transit Authority's Galactic Gun: The Adventures of Justin Bailey "The Twisted Case of Station 77". I thought it would be fun to share this rare glimpse into how a page gets built, as it becomes part of the line.

As you can see, it's a pretty loose lay out. Using a non-photo blue pencil, I drop some vague shapes into place, mapping out what, roughly, goes where. Then, where needed, I tighten up and refine some details. On occasion, I sometimes take the loose shapes and fill in "straight ahead"; which is a term that means, basically, without a lay out, plan, or script.

You've no doubt noticed a few missing things, like panels, for starters. While you can see that there is a box noted lightly in blue line, the finished panel will be actually created in the machine; along with one, or two, details and "effects".

I still like to draw as much as I can, however. So, the panel will usually be a mix of my hands and the computer's bytes. I also tend to draw past about where I eyeball the panel to be, just in case. Eventually, the excess lines will be trimmed away to fit. It's a good bet that, when you see something disappearing off frame, that I probably did draw some of what you can't see.

There are a couple of pen mistakes that I can see. Depending on how "fixable" they are, I may, or may not add some lines, rescan, and do a fast clean up. Usually I figure out how I'm going to approach that on a case by case basis.

So, there you go; a basic break down of how things get built in the yard.

No comments: