Thursday, February 20, 2014

40 quips in 40 days: Day 27

Sometimes it's not what's said, but how...

Chuckism #27
There are no absolutes.

Read that, again. Go ahead, I can wait...

Did you see that? Did you get that?

Life is full of opposing folks, ideas, movements, and expressions. People tend to gravitate toward them for whatever reason that they do. And when these meets get disagreeable, things can get ugly. Folk - good and bad, a like - will always look toward what gives their world security, stability, and meaning. Often the particulars aren't either here nor there as much. Lines get drawn in the sand. Rules get writ. Morals carved in stone.

No matter which way you fall to it, you're going to come down on one side of a thing or the other. The getting there's about the only thing you have claim to, regardless where you plant your feet. Science or religion? Bearded indie rock or mullet wearing classic glam? The rights of the few or of the many? Freedom of speech or guarded watchfulness of action? Taste great or less filling?

Whatever the cause, movement, idea, or musical act, though, it's really important to understand what it is you're deciding; what you are seeing, hearing, and learning. Not only being critical of what you're being told, and what conclusions you're being led to, but that you are sound in your reasoning. And that means being mindful of paradoxical thinking.

Are you getting it now? I think you might be.

I don't know how long I took the above stance in my arguments about life, the universe, and everything before I caught the very fallacy in my own statement. To see that I was taking a stance that in no uncertain terms no terms were certain kind of seems silly, now. And in my confidence I had over looked so many other options, choice, and reasons for the way that people, organizations, and schools of thought formed and grew strength.

But, most of all, I had undermined the very importance of an open mind and keen observation. And whether I may have been right or wrong was unimportant because no matter where I ended up I got there the wrong way. And we all know what happens when you skip a few steps in the instructions.

In the end, my realization made me aware that more than having an educated opinion or a strong stance is having the clarity of thought and sight to best understand where it is you're going. Because if you have the clear lay of the land, you're oft to step more sure; come to a better place naturally.

*Image credit: Bill Waterson




(Still don't get it? That statement about absolutes is an absolute statement.)

No comments: