Thursday, June 16, 2011

30 Day Musical Challenge: Day 27 - a song you wish you could play.

There have been two real goals in my life. In all of my... many... years as an artist and creator, I have only wanted to do two things with my life. I am just mere steps from seeing my aspirations of becoming a "professional cartoonist" come to fruition.

But, as much as I have yearned to make the illustrated adventures we commonly call comic books, I have had a second, secret passion. For as long as I can remember, I have had a love affair with the guitar, and have always ached to be able to play it. And, if I ever do learn, I ant to be able to play this:

Formed out of rival high school bands in 1967, Genesis went on to breach the upper echelons of the progressive rock movement of 1970's England. From the mini epic of "Supper's Ready" on the album Foxtrot - for which "Horizons" also appears,  to the revolutionary and imaginative rock opera The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway - which would be front man Peter Gabriel's goodbye, the band used wild story book themes and colorful palettes of visual imagery to paint wild comments on life, love, and being British.

From 1976 until the band's inevitable break up at the beginning of the 21st century, the styling of the group turned more and more pop, and saw the launching point for mildly successful solo careers of remaining members Phil Collins, Mike Rutherford, and Tony Banks.

The band was finally inducted in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2010; only the second progressive rock band, besides Pink Floyd, to do so.

As for me and the guitar? Well, I've picked it up more thana few times, but had to put it back down for many reasons. But, I've never stopped trying. One day I will play this...

No comments: