Sunday, June 12, 2011

Hooked on a classic...


Alright, here we go; another needless reboot. This time, however, it's a dark spin on Peter and Wendy, the classic novel by J.M. Barrie; originally from his own play.

If you've read the book, you immediately see all the liberties taken for this new "interpretation" of the story. Of course, if you've read the book, then you probably have a different take on the Disney version, too.

I'm not really sure what to think about this, to be honest. It has a lot of fantasy in it, to be sure. And look, the pirate legend Bonnie Anne is here, too. But the whole "twist" on Peter and Hook? Yeah, not taking to that one, too well. And Hook being a 19th century fencing instructor moonlighting as a master thief? Magic portals? And the Charles Dickens rip off that will, at least as it looks, become the Lost Boys?

I will say, however, that I like the idea of Bob Hoskins reprising his role as Mr. Smee from the doomed Steven Spielberg follow up. (If, indeed, that's what he's doing in this version.) I wonder if they're trying to string the movies together...? 

At any rate, I think I'll approach this one cautiously. For the unread, this may seem like a fascinating dark twist to a happy child's fable. But, as a reader of the classic - which is NOT the fairy tale Disney made it to be - I am wary that this may be, well, unfortunate.

In a movie age where trends are milked for all it's worth, and seeing the see saw success and failure of movies like the Chronicles of Narnia it's easy to become unwarrently skeptical of things like this. I'm not going to call it suck, now. But I will watch closely as release date gets closer, to see any more press on it, first.

No comments: