Tuesday, June 21, 2011

30 Day Song Challenge: Day 29 - A song from your childhood

I'm about to preface this entry with a big "duh" statement. I have always had a love of music different from my peers... at any age.

Music, for me, growing up, scripted the soundtrack of not just my life, but my dreams, as well as my fantasies. From play time with my action figures, to draw time with my wild creations, to dream time with the other worlds of heroes and far away places, music has been the underscore of all I've done. So, with the life that I have led, so far, is it any wonder that this song comes to the forefront for today's challenge?

Formed in 1983 by a collection of composers, programmers, and musicians in the budding age of the synth pop movement, The Art of Noise drew from collages of sound (Long before the term "sampling".) and avant-garde arrangements of mostly instrumental pieces; with exceptional notes for the covers of the Peter Gunn theme and Dragnet (Used in the movie.), "Paranoimia" featuring Max Headroom, Kiss - featuring Tom Jones, and the unsinkable "Moments in Love".

For me, the sound of The Art of Noise will always be linked to the cyberpunk epic Applessed; which made a huge impression upon my young writer's mind. Both were released in the Unites States and found their ways to me about the same time. The strange ambient, sometimes theatrical nature of the music, mixed with the narrative and visuals of the comic blended into such a feel as to change both into a hybreed of media entertainment.

I could fill an entire article about this group. But, for me, The Art of Noise put a sound to the thoughts, feelings, and energies that swirled, and still swirl, around inside my mind and heart. Or maybe they were the mold to which I sculpted my psyche? Perhaps it's a little of both...

No comments: