Sunday, June 12, 2011

30 Day Song Challenge: Day 23 - a song you want to play at your wedding...

The joining of two lives into one is probably one of the greatest, most sacred bonds to people can enter into. This is something that transcends the borders of religion, race, creed, and even all sense of mind and reason. It's the pull of two souls, clinging to each other in the dark of life; making fast one light against the night. It's holy - probably one of the very few things that truly are. It's the expression of love, desire, and hope for the future.

Once upon a time I thought I, too, would some day enter into this bond. That I would knowingly give up part of myself unto someone that they might, in return, share with me. That the flames of our separate heart's fires would unite, bearing a new path before us. For my part, there would have been only one song I can think of that I would have sang to her on our first dance. Only one song would have encapsulated my heart and mind at that moment...


Formed in Cincinnati, but based in Brooklyn, The National has a knack for painting "picture-perfect Americana bar-soaked gems". [Jason McNeil - No Depression magazine] It's fronted by singer/songwriter Matt Beringer and two sets of brothers; Arron and Bryce Dessner, and Scott and Bryan Devendorf.

There music is, generally, grass roots Americana indie rock; the band enjoying a nice collection of small releases. But this song, which first grabbed my attention when part of another peice of animation, also put the band into the limelight. They just recently closed an American tour, and are even featured on the soundtrack to the game Portal 2.

As for me? Well, I've been dreaming about her for 29 years... one day I'll find her.

No comments: