Monday, June 13, 2011

30 Day Song Challenge: Day 24 - a song you want played at your funeral...

Life, and all that it holds, is a journey. A journey to a single point. A journey to a single point that is, also, it's one great mystery.

Its end.

From mystics to skeptics, holy men to scientists, everyone has their own opinion about the final moment of one's life; passing into the great shroud on the unknown. Is death the doorway into another existence? Or, as some believe, the inevitable final act; the abrupt, and unfathomable end from which there is nothing more?

I have, myself, always looked to the skies and thought not of mythical kingdoms hovering beyond clouds, but to the infinite realm of the possible. The deep, endless blue of my mid day sky a curtain across the stage to the great beyond. In my quest to understand, I have found a sort of spiritualism within the planets, stars, the sky, the clouds, and all that surrounds us. I hope, on my eventual day, that I can meet my end, eyes open, looking into the promises of an endless blue sky. And, as my goodbye, this is what I'd like to leave my friends and family with:


When the toy company Bandai approached animation studio Sunrise to produce a cartoon around some spaceships, neither were expecting the critical acclaim that Cowboy Bebop would find, world wide. Set in 2071, in an interplanetary solar system, the "sessions" follow the lives, triumphs, and (mostly) tragedies of a group of bounty hunters, known as "cowboys", as they hunt for the big bounty; their lives coming crashing together toward a climactic crescendo.

The music for what would be considered one of the greatest works of science fiction would be scribed by Japanese musician Yoko Kanno, who would join forces with the ensemble crew known as The Seatbelts to create a menagerie of Asian, Blue Grass, Jazz, and early Rock. The complete soundtrack collection, including the box set, is one of my most cherished peices in my musical collection, and a must buy for anyone who would even consider themself a music lover.

I don't know what lies beyond the last hurrah, but I will always contiue to live, love, and learn. Maybe, one day, we'll all meet again, in that big blue somewhere. I'll see you then, Cowboy, somewhere...

No comments: